Re: Trouble with Triplets (Corrected)

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Trouble with Triplets (Corrected)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 14:35:49 +0200

>> When you request strict ruler like time to space relationship then
>> how do you expect Lilypond to know when repeated bars are allowed to
>> use less space and when not so unless you explicitly say so?
>
> This makes sense, just not how I originally understood the repeated
> bars to behave.  In fact, using "graph paper" spacing, I fully expect
> repeated bars to use exactly the same space as the original bar unless
> told otherwise.

In your case Lilypond is faced with two conflicting constraints:
- "graph paper" spacing
- linelength

I guess that linelength takes precedence as that's what most people
would want lilypond to do, namely compress stuff a bit such that it fits
the line.

> Looking at it now, Lilypond might have just been
> stretching\compressing the line to satisfy the ragged-right setting?

I guess that's it and in most of my usecases the desired behaviour. Your
mileage may of course vary.

> I did indeed examine your code, but that part certainly wasn't clear.
>  As I understand it what you wrote is no different from:
>
> \repeat percent 4 { \enterStrictTime \first \leaveStrictTime }

AFAIUI it is
\repeat percent 4 { \startNewSpacingSectionWithStrictTime \first
\leaveStrictTime }

and that is fundamentally different from
\startNewSpacingSectionWithStrictTime \repeat percent 4 { \first }
\leaveStrictTime

or that is my understanding, but I may be wrong.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden