Cross-"fertilization" between Dynamics w/ Lyrics and Keep_alive_together

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Cross-"fertilization" between Dynamics w/ Lyrics and Keep_alive_together_engraver
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 08:31:38 +0200

Dear list,

I ran into a situation where using the Keep_alive_together_engraver, with VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer settings, gives unexpected results in horizontal spacing for a Dynamics context with \accept-ed Lyrics. I very much want to use this configuration, and have correct horizontal spacing.

The attached pdf (v.2.19.83) shows an upper score without either Keep_alive_together_engraver or remove-layer settings, which gives expected (correct) horizontal spacing. The lower score shows that, for Keep_alive_together_engraver and remove-layer settings, the horizontal spacing of the notes is (incorrectly) expanded to fit the lyrics syllables to one note.

What setting can I apply to get correct horizontal spacing in the second case? Or, if this is a bug, is there a workaround (which should work in scores with multiple MarkLines and tens of instrument staves)?

Rationale: I use this Lyrics tric in my MarkLines to create a spanner with the spanner elements at specific times, and also at a fixed vertical offset. I cannot use David Nalesnik's textSpannerInnerTexts because their spacing of the words doesn't depend on the musical time. I cannot use multiple TextSpanners, because (at least in parts with few or no notes) the vertical offset of the texts is not constant: I saw situations where they are stacked 3 high.

Greetings,

Rutger