Re: Trouble with Triplets (Corrected)

From: Stefano Antonelli
Subject: Re: Trouble with Triplets (Corrected)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:35:55 -0700

On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 23:15 +0200, Michael Gerdau wrote:
> > In particular, why not fitting 4 times on a line creates some of
> > the
> > problem?  Wouldn't the repeat measures alleviate that spacing
> > constraint?  That was the intent for this example anyway.
> If I recall correctly you wrote you wanted strict spacing such that
> equal time uses equal space. That will then apply to repeat bars
> likewise. My suggested modification waives that requirement for the
> repeated bars.
>
> When you request strict ruler like time to space relationship then
> how do you expect Lilypond to know when repeated bars are allowed to
> use less space and when not so unless you explicitly say so?

This makes sense, just not how I originally understood the repeated
bars to behave.  In fact, using "graph paper" spacing, I fully expect
repeated bars to use exactly the same space as the original bar unless
told otherwise.

However, I observed that the repeated bars did not use exactly the same
space as the original bar.  The reality was that the requested number
of bars did not actually fit on a line and here I would have expected
some kind of warning saying so.  Or maybe printing off the page.
 Instead Lilypond quietly made other arrangements so I came to the
wrong conclusion.

Looking at it now, Lilypond might have just been
stretching\compressing the line to satisfy the ragged-right setting?

> > I understand that the pattern does not fit 4 times on a line.  How
> > do so is one of my questions.
> You have looked at my code?
> Which part don’t you understand?
>
> I do waive the requirements for strict time to space relation for the
> repeated bars.

I did indeed examine your code, but that part certainly wasn't clear.
 As I understand it what you wrote is no different from:

\repeat percent 4 { \enterStrictTime \first \leaveStrictTime }

Which appears to be fundamentally different from:

\enterStrictTime \repeat percent 4 { \first } \leaveStrictTime

that results from setting strict time in the layout block.  Except
that:

\enterStrictTime
\repeat percent 4 { \enterStrictTime \first \leaveStrictTime }
\leaveStrictTime

Also displays the correct result (see attached).  The key is to enable
strict time between the brackets of the \repeat statement.  Seems to
contradict "waiving the requirements for strict time to space relation
for the repeated bars"?

What am I missing?

> > I feel that it should be possible to scale "something" in lilypond
> > do the same thing, but I haven't figured that out yet.
> magnifyStaff is your friend. Or globally changing the size. There are
> plenty examples in the documentation.

I have played with set-global-staff-size, but that only seems to affect
the vertical size.  The goal is to condense the width of the notes and
note spacings to fit more on one line (ie. reduce the size of the note
heads and stems).  I think the only option is to change the font size.
 When I tried that it had no effect.  Probably didn't do it right.

Thanks,
Stef