Re: Melisma breaking converting from 2.18 to 2.19

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Melisma breaking converting from 2.18 to 2.19
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:15:46 -0500

On Tue 27 Aug 2019 at 11:16:00 (-0400), Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > I'm not sure that it does.
>
> Did you compile my example?
> The melisma shows correctly in both staves, where it doesn’t in the original
> MWE.
> Isn’t that what needed fixing?
>
> Confused,

Yes, but I'm not sure I needed to. Just to make it clear—my reply was
aimed at Malte's MWE and not at the OP who hasn't yet shown us what
their problem is.

Malte has:
    \new Staff << \global \sop >> \addlyrics \soptext
reducing to:
    \new Staff << >> \addlyrics \soptext

ie \addlyrics applied to a Staff.

You have:

    \new Staff \new Voice << \global \sop >> \addlyrics \soptext
    \new Staff \new Voice << \global \sop \addlyrics \soptext >>

reducing to:

    \new Voice << >> \addlyrics \soptext

ie \addlyrics applied to a Voice.

    \new Voice << \global \sop \addlyrics \soptext >>

ie \addlyrics applied to a Voice.

As far as 2.18.2 is concerned, it doesn't know how to apply \lyrics to
a Staff, so it just uses the last seen Voice as the context instead.
I would hazard a guess that the OP could have been relying on this,
and now it's suddenly broken because LP does what it's told.

Disclaimer: I'm working from observations. I don't know how LP looks
at the guts of Contexts, like some people here evidently do.

Cheers,
David.