Re: Melisma breaking converting from 2.18 to 2.19

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Melisma breaking converting from 2.18 to 2.19
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:59:32 -0500

On Tue 27 Aug 2019 at 08:32:30 (-0400), Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This bit me way back when. Here’s the fix (note the \new Voice):
>
> \version "2.19.83"
>
> global = {
>  s1
>  \bar "|."
> }
>
> sop = \relative {
>  c'4( d) e f
> }
>
> soptext = \lyricmode {
>  Me -- lis -- ma
> }
>
> \new Staff \new Voice << \global \sop >> \addlyrics \soptext
>
> \new Staff \new Voice << \global \sop \addlyrics \soptext >>
>
> Hope that helps!

I'm not sure that it does. It looks to me as if both your \addlyrics
are adding the lyrics to a Voice, whereas Malte's example (and thanks
for the MWE!) looks as if \addlyrics applies to the Staff.

I played around with the latter when I read here that it could be
done. It seems as if it might be an alternative to NullVoice,
where you have to make an alignment voice by breaking up long notes
in one part so you can match the rhythm in another. With this
Staff method, you don't have to touch the music, but you have to
write a lyric syllable to match every note-start in every part,
and that holds for melismas too, else it would defeat the whole
object of the new construction.

I think the last bar of this MWE gives you the idea. Sorry I
haven't got a melismatic example handy, but I see the feature
as more useful for hymns (pace Bruckner) because all the best
ones are full of these rhythmic differences. I set counterpoint
on separate staves, like most people.

AIUI all 2.18.2 did iin Malte's MWE is to \addlyrics to the
last Voice it saw, not to the Staff, because the feature
didn't exist.

Cheers,
David.