Re: Combine these segments for same score

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: Combine these segments for same score
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 19:22:02 +0000

On 16 Dec 2018, at 18:05, Reggie wrote:

> Urs Liska-3 wrote
>> Reggie,
>>
>> one thing you will have to accept is that the segment approach you're
>> after will not save compilation time of the score as a whole. What it can
>> do is give you a handle to compile only small chunks or "segments" at a
>> time *while editing*.
>>
>> I'm only on my mobile phone so I can't go into detail now, but you should
>> clarify if that is what you mean or if my comment shows you that you were
>> hoping for something that doesn't exist.
>>
>> Urs
>
> Urs hello this is 100% what I am desiring to save on small chunk segments
> compile times during editing. I am aware and OK with of course having to
> wait in the "end" when the full score needs to be compiled :)) I am
> interested in how to create segments as I go along and the piece gets longer
> and I compile segments as NEEDED during editing yes yes. Can you at your
> convenience help in this thread with how segments work I feel so stupid.
> Thank you hugely.

I hope I'm not missing the point.  Could this be what you're looking for?
"Skipping corrected music"  Section 3.4.2 of the Notation Reference.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/skipping-corrected-music

It's a way of saving compile time when you don't need to see the entire length
of a piece.