Re: need to generate mass quantities of random notes for practice

From: plasmacarwash
Subject: Re: need to generate mass quantities of random notes for practice
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:04:15 -0700 (PDT)

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:

> plasmacarwash <creamtowney <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> Francisco,
>> However, I'm not advanced to run Python. I only know how to save an .ly
>> document from jEdit.
>> Will jEdit help me with Python?
>>

> Save the file ran.py from Francisco's message.  I saved it in the same
> folder
> where my Lilypond source files (.ly files) are saved.
>
> Open up a command shell (in windows, click on the start menu, then Run,
> then
> type cmd in the window that pops up.
>
> Use the cd command in the command shell to change to the directory
> containing
> ran.py.
>
> Then type
>
> ran.py > myfile.ly
>
> this will create a file named myfile.ly that contains a series of random
> notes.
>
> run Lilypond on myfile.ly (if you use Lilypondtool, you can open up
> myfile.ly,
> and press the Run Lilypond button).  This will produce a new random PDF
> for you.
>
> You can also use Jedit to edit ran.py and change the characteristics of
> the
> random music it generates.
>
> You can change the number of notes in the piece by changing the 199 in
> "range(199)" to some other number.
>
> You can change the starting note by changing "c'4" to "c''4", or whatever
> other
> note you want, followed by a 4, to set it as a quarter note.
>
> You can change the range of your random notes by adding additional notes
> and/or
> removing some of the notes in the square brackets following random.choice.
>
> I hope this helps you to understand how to use ran.py to do what you want.
>
> And good luck learning the guitar.  It's a lot of fun!
>
> Carl

Carl,

Thank-you for this break-down. I am going to copy it and paste it for
implementation early next week.

I am a windows user. I tried Ubuntu and ironically my DELL XPS M140 made it
terrible for me to install.
DELL now wants to ship all new computers with Ubuntu partitioned for you.

Guitar is very fun. It was the only contemporary instrument I learned. No
classical training.
Now that I feel I can arrange and compose, I come at this art from a
'voice-first' mentality.
That is, my songs regard the human voice as the first instrument (since it
is historically anyway) and everything else is a servant to the organic
"originalness" of the voice.
This can get me to understand the voicings of instrumental music,
but by and large, I simply don't fundamentally grasp much forms of music
outside of voice-oriented band music (3-5 persons).
Composers like John Adams are helping me bridge the gap, however, lol.

Take good care,

JWPeek