Re: need to generate mass quantities of random notes for practice

From: plasmacarwash
Subject: Re: need to generate mass quantities of random notes for practice
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:

> plasmacarwash <creamtowney <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> Hey people,
>>
>> I'm a newbie and I'd like to create a blithe score of quarter notes
>> purely
>> for practice from middle c up an octave and half to g.
>> I'm learning guitar and need copious amounts of notes.
>> When I attempted to do it manually with just jEdit (not using
>> lilypondtools)
>> I have two problems:
>>
>> My (.PDF) measures spread the quarter notes over the width of the Sahara.
>> They don't come out "tight" like the tutorial. And two:
>
> The way to make the notes tight is to set a layout block with
>
> ragged-right = ##t
>
> at the top of your score.
>

>> I made all my notes 4 to 5 octaves high -"dog" whistle-register.
>>

> Since you want to produce random notes, you don't know how relative will
> work
> (you aren't tracking whether a note is less than a fifth away from the
> previous
> note), so I'd recommend you use absolute notation, with notes ranging from
> c' to
> g' and a'' to g''.
>
> Here's a simple test I made that shows how things work.
>
> \version "2.10.19"
>
> \layout {
>       ragged-right = ##t
> }
>
> \score {
>       {c'4 d' e' f' g' a' b' c'' d'' e'' f'' g''}
> }
>
> BTW, if you're using Jedit and not Lilypondtool, you're working a lot
> harder
> than you need to.
>
> Carl Sorensen

Carl,

The 'simple test' worked eloquently but, they are ascending. I will
experiment with commas and dbl. commas.
This will give me the newbies variance I need to be good, no?
Also,
I am definitely not using the GUI as I want to write musically and manually
synergized in one.
Understand?

I think you were warning me against picking out a symbol for every
characteristic on a full score.
That would be a pain, lol.

thank-you very much;)

JWPeek