Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:16:10 -0500

On Jan 21, 2020, at 14:02, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> \new ChoirStaff = choir  <<
>    \new Staff = choir.upper  <<
>        \new Voice = choir.upper.soprano
>        \new Voice = choir.upper.alto
>>>
>   \new Staff = choir.lower <<
>        \new Voice = choir.lower.tenor
>        \new Voice = choir.lower.bass
>>>

> Or would we prefer
>
> \new ChoirStaff = choir  <<
>    \new Staff = choir.upper  <<
>        \new Voice = choir.soprano
>        \new Voice = choir.alto
>>>
>   \new Staff = choir.lower <<
>        \new Voice = choir.tenor
>        \new Voice = choir.bass
>>>

> The first example is potentially problematic, because Voices can change
> Staffs (and even StaffGroups), so it seems that having the Voice id include
> the Staff is not desirable.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that a context ID would include the IDs of
its parents as a substring.  At least I wasn't trying to suggest that.  The
idea is that something like this:

    \context foo.bar.baz { … }

Could be interpreted as shorthand for this:

    \context %{ unspecified %} = foo {
      \context %{ unspecified %} = bar {
        \context %{ unspecified %} = baz { … }
      }