Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 12:29:38 -0500

Hi Carl,

> All of this discussion about including the edition engraver and packages in
> LilyPond core is exciting to me.

+1

> I think that if we choose to do so, it should represent a major release for
> LilyPond, i.e. it should become LilyPond 3.0

If we really get a great extension/package management system rolled in (even if
the EE itself remains "outside" the core), I would definitely vote for
incrementing the major version number.

> it's possible that we will have some NOT_SMART convert.ly rules connected to
> the major release; users would potentially need to hand-code changes.

We should, of course, try to avoid that entirely where possible, and mitigate
it otherwise.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)