Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Context paths (and the Edition Engraver)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 16:40:59 +0000

On 1/19/20, 2:42 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Dan Eble"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    One of the things in Kieren's intro to the Edition Engraver (EE) that
resonated with me was the context paths.  His example was something like
`singwithbach.along.Voice.B`, which was supposed to refer to something like
this:

      \context Staff = "along" {
        \context Voice = "B" {
        }
      }

    The ability to refer to contexts this way is a great idea, though IMHO it
needs some work to reduce ambiguity.  But the point I came here to make is
this: if an EE using a similar syntax is ever to be a part of LilyPond proper,
the syntax ought to be consistently supported for other LilyPond commands that
refer to contexts.  For example,

      \context along.Voice.B { ... }

      \set along.Voice.B.property = #...

      \change Voice = ChoirStaff.A.Staff.B

    It would be wise to ask whether there are use cases for any "pronouns"
(like `.` and `..` in file paths, and `this` in C++) to make it possible to
root a search very specifically.  The existence of the `descend-only` music
property suggests that there might be.  I also think I have a pretty good use
case for finding "the closest enclosing context where a given property is
defined," but I am not now prepared to elaborate.

All of this discussion about including the edition engraver and packages in
LilyPond core is exciting to me.

I think that if we choose to do so, it should represent a major release for
LilyPond, i.e. it should become LilyPond 3.0.  And it's possible that we will
have some NOT_SMART convert.ly rules connected to the major release; users
would potentially need to hand-code changes.

Thanks,

Carl