Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:30:15 -0500

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Leon Merten Lohse <address@hidden>wrote:

> Thank you Thomas!
>
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:06:41AM -0500, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> > > doc/libcdio.texi:
> > >
> > > Some of its aspects go beyond my own CD knowledge.
> > > Nevertheless, i have to question some statements:

> > > How was the payload of 5,000 bytes computed ?
> > >

> > Probably from  http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm
>
> And this source is as wrong as Wikipedia is.
> According to the Sony Tool Docs (DOC08), the whole CD-TEXT size should
> not be bigger than 9216 and must not exceed 36864 bytes. This includes
> the pack headers and crc information so the actual data size is two
> thirds of it. That gives us a maximum of 6144 bytes of text data minus
> 3*18 bytes of block information per block. Also a CD-TEXT field should
> not exceed 255 bytes.
> Unicode is definitely not a part of the CD-TEXT specifications.

I've removed from libcdio.texi mention of size limits and made note of  the
newly created document.

Again, if this is inaccurate or confusing please jump in and make
suggestions. I have a hard time correlating the discussion above to some
concrete change that will make things clearer or less confusing.