Re: [igraph] clustering coefficients for bipartite networks

From: jordi torrents
Subject: Re: [igraph] clustering coefficients for bipartite networks
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:31:32 +0100

Tamàs, Simone and all,

Sorry for top posting and for resurrecting an old thread. I've been
working on the implementation of the different kinds of bipartite
clustering coefficients proposed by Latapy et al (2008), starting with
the implementation proposed by Simone and refined by Tamàs in this
thread. My implementation (see script attached) is orders of magnitude
faster than Simone's because it avoids doing two nested loops over the
nodes and only explores nodes which have common neighbors, as proposed
in the paper. My implementation and Simone's yield the same results
but both differ from the results provided in the paper.  I've put
together a test (see script attached) using the smallest network from
the paper (arXiv coauthor network) to illustrate the problem. You can
download the test network in graphml format (with node attribute
"type" that identifies top and bottom nodes) from:

http://www.milnou.net/~jtorrents/bipartite_cc/coauthoring_latapy_2mode.graphml

The output of the script attached is:
$ python test_bip_cc.py
Code based on the paper:
Matthieu Latapy, Clémence Magnien and Nathalie Del Vecchio.
Basic Notions for the Analysis of Large Two-mode Networks.
Social Networks 30 (1), p. 31-48, 2008

http://www.milnou.net/~jtorrents/bipartite_cc/coauthoring_latapy_2mode.graphml

The authors report the results in Table 3 p. 41
cc_dot_top = 0.29; cc_dot_bottom= 0.31
cc_min_top = 0.56; cc_min_bottom= 0.73
cc_max_top = 0.36; cc_max_bottom= 0.33

Testing Simone's implementation of cc_dot:
cc_dot_top = 0.47; cc_dot_bottom= 0.56; time spend = 2417 seconds

Testing my implementation of cc_dot:
cc_dot_top = 0.47; cc_dot_bottom= 0.56; time spend = 3 seconds

Testing my implementation of cc_min:
cc_min_top = 0.70; cc_min_bottom= 0.85; time spend = 3 seconds

Testing my implementation of cc_max:
cc_max_top = 0.53; cc_max_bottom= 0.57; time spend = 3 seconds

The results do not match!

It seems that the problem is in the computation of CC for individual
nodes (see pp. 40-41)
because tests for pairwise bipartite clustering coefficients work with
simple examples:

Testing functions of different kinds of bipartite clustering
coefficients between pairs of nodes
using 3 example graphs from figure 5 p. 40 Latapy et al (2008)
Example 0 correct!
Example 1 correct!
Example 2 correct!

As you can see the results do not match with those provided in the
paper. My coding experience is quite limited, so maybe I did some
mistakes in the implementation. I'd appreciate if someone could revise
the code and provide any clue on how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.
Salut!