Standard IDE

From: dkeck
Subject: Standard IDE
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

at the moment I'm using Octave 3.8.1 and its "experimental GUI". I'd like to
know if there is any chance that an Eclipse IDE could become the standard
IDE? Or to ask differently: Why is it worth the effort to start from scratch
concerning IDE programming?

I have used Eclipse for AMPL, LaTeX and indeed for some of the 'real'
programming languages it was actually written for. If many people from
fairly different spaces/places (especially from the science fields since
they already invest tons of hours in a free infrastructure) use one single
editor it could have a much bigger impact on the whole community beyond the
'I-need-some-GUI-for-this-and-that'-requirement.

Positive effect in this context might be:
Huge community which increases the chance to find people who can debug and
write plugins or extend existing ones.

Regards,
Daniel