Re: Standard IDE

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Standard IDE
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:11:14 -0400

Hi, I'm assuming you just want to get people's opinions and discuss
aspects of GUI use rather than get some authoritative answer, right?

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 07:04:47 -0700, dkeck wrote:
> at the moment I'm using Octave 3.8.1 and its "experimental GUI". I'd like to
> know if there is any chance that an Eclipse IDE could become the standard
> IDE? Or to ask differently: Why is it worth the effort to start from scratch
> concerning IDE programming?

For me, the Octave GUI is *not* an IDE, it's a GUI that interoperates
with the Octave interpreter. Some people may use Octave's GUI and IDEs
in different ways, for me they are very different.

The primary purpose of an IDE is to develop software, edit source
files, build the project, run it, and debug it. When you work in an
IDE, you are intending to work on a software project.

The primary purpose of the Octave GUI is to provide a graphical
wrapper for and enhanced ways of interacting with the Octave
interpreter. When you work in the Octave GUI, the focus is the command
window, with the variable list and command history list right there to
immediately see what commands have run and what variables are in
scope. Sure, the GUI also has an editor with some debug capabilities.

> I have used Eclipse for AMPL, LaTeX and indeed for some of the 'real'
> programming languages it was actually written for. If many people from
> fairly different spaces/places (especially from the science fields since
> they already invest tons of hours in a free infrastructure) use one single
> editor it could have a much bigger impact on the whole community beyond the
> 'I-need-some-GUI-for-this-and-that'-requirement.
>
> Positive effect in this context might be:
> Huge community which increases the chance to find people who can debug and
> write plugins or extend existing ones.

There is an existing Octclipse project [1], that you are welcome to
use and contribute to. Please do so if you prefer to work with Octave
through Eclipse. But the plugin is not developed or distributed with
Octave.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/octclipse/

--
mike