Re: Standard IDE

From: dkeck
Subject: Re: Standard IDE
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:43:44 -0700 (PDT)

@Mike You are right using the word 'IDE' in this context is creates
confusion.

I tend to say in this respect Eclipse is always a 'GUI':
-Java (install a JDK e.g. from Oracle(Sun) providing binaries for
development e.g. compiler/interpreter)
-C++ (get some C++ DevKit from anywhere providing binaries for development
e.g. compiler)
-Matlab (get Matlab from Mathworks ;) providing binaries for development
e.g. interpreter)
-Latex (get some LatexDistro providing binaries for development e.g.
pdflatex)
-Octave (actually almost the same as for Matlab: At the user level)

So an IDE (for me) is the minimum set of a GUI and all the binaries that the
developer wants to do something for him/her that he/she can access through
the GUI.

Thanks for suggesting Octclipse.

Actually I'm not looking for it but asking if there is any chance that once
an Eclipse 'GUI' with a preinstalled and preconfigured plug-in for accessing
Octave (e.g. Octclipse) will be distributed as the standard GUI.

I think most important is the core developers choice for a certain GUI. I'd
like to use Latex as an example. There is a tremendous amount of available
GUIs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors) which compete
with each other. The majority will take what comes with the bundle they use
(e.g. TeXworks if you use MiKTeX) or where enough proper information (docu,
QA pages) is available (e.g. TeXnicCenter).
Therefore a small project such as Texlipse (Octclipse in terms of Latex)
will not evolve far enough to actually ever beat its competitors.

Now that’s fine of course because that’s the way things develop... many
start rising until one of them sets the (quasi-) standard due to its quality
and use to the community.

But the cool thing in my eyes with Eclipse is that it can be extended to
support every language, so people can use one single program (/gui/ide/<term
that suites best for you in this context>) and do not need to install, learn
to operate (and even learn to program/extend) dozens of different editors
for their daily work such as
writing source (c/asm/m/jsp/php/tex/java/pdf/yourExt/...),
writing documentation, version control,
sharing via intra- and internet,...,
<another 100 things I haven't even realized yet>

Regards,
Daniel