Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:14:13 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 05/19/14 12:24, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> The Octave app was listed as a free app until I installed it and was
> surprised by the requirement for payment.

I believe this may be a misunderstanding of the word "free". It
doesn't mean gratis in this context. It simply means you are free to
recompile it yourself and not pay, if that's what you want to do.

> If the app had been listed as $10 to cover distrubution costs, I most
> likely would have purchased it.

Anyone is allowed to sell a GPL'ed program for as much as they want,
more than just distribution costs. In this case, I think the 10 USD
can reasonably cover Corbin's work on this, not just distribution
costs.

> Now, NO.

Why so vociferous? What is the great offence that you have suffered?
Do you feel deceived? Can this be remedied?

I think the confusion/frustration comes from the fact that Google play store references the app as being "free", which in the context of the play store means you don't have to pay. Then I understand that the first thing it does upon running is asking you to pay a contribution, otherwise you can't run it (note: I never tried the app, so maybe I'm wrong).

I fully agree that Corbin is free to ask being paid for the distribution of the app, however I think it will generates confusion as it's listed in the free section of the play store. In that sense, being part of the free section is a bit deceiving.

Michael.