Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:17:27 -0400

On Sun, 2014-05-18 at 20:22 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> It installs Ok, and initializes, presenting a window asking for a
> "donation", suggesting $10.
>
> If no payment is made, the app starts, presents a "Setting up
> Octave" message and hangs, forever.
>
> Seems to me to be a violation of the GPL.

Charging money is not a violation of the GPL. As one of the Octave
developers, I encourage any distributor of Octave to charge as much
money as they wish for it as long as they obey the terms of the GPL
(amongst others, distribute source to anyone they sell Octave to).

As far as I know, Corbin Champion is distributing this source:

    https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/master/octave

- Jordi G. H.