Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 12:58:49 +0900 (JST)

--- On Mon, 2014/5/19, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> I tried Octave for Android.
>
> It installs Ok, and initializes, presenting a window asking for a "donation",
> suggesting $10.
>
> If no payment is made, the app starts, presents a "Setting up Octave" message
> and hangs, forever.
>
> Seems to me to be a violation of the GPL.
>
> I removed Octave for Android from my device and will never use or support it.
>
> I do support/donate to octave and FSF.

I also tried Octave for Android on my Xperia Z1. Donation message also appeared
for me. However, octave did not hang up and some calculations were worked
correctly. However, plot failed due to missing libdl.so for gnuplot.

I do not know that the donation message violates the  GPL or not.  But hang up
phenomenon seems not relate  whether you donate or not. Perhaps the hang-up is
machine and OS version dependent.

Tatsuro