Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:15:56 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 16:58:08 -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>> The Octave app was listed as a free app until I installed it and was
>> surprised by the requirement for payment.
>
> I believe this may be a misunderstanding of the word "free". It
> doesn't mean gratis in this context. It simply means you are free to
> recompile it yourself and not pay, if that's what you want to do.

I think Thomas is referring to the Google Play store entry [1] which
lists the app as "free" (gratis) to install. After installing, it
apparently functions fully for some trial period, after which time I
gather it requests a donation in order to continue functioning. I have
not tried it, but this is the way it seems to be described. Some may
view this as a "bait and switch", since the initial installation
appeared to be "free". I can't say if that's what's going on here, but
this may explain Thomas' reactions he has shared with us.

None of which has anything to do with violating the GPL.

  [1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.octave

HTH,

--
mike