Re: Octave and Database connectivity

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave and Database connectivity
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:40:09 -0400

On 12 September 2012 16:29, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote

>> I really recommend once more to use another language. Octave and
>> Matlab are both essentially glorified wrappers over 30-year-old
>> Fortran libraries and ill-suited for the programming needs of today.
>> They are both awful general-purpose languages. Yes, people use these
>> two languages to write web servers and email clients, but it's really
>> a case of a square peg in a round hole. They do one thing and one
>> thing oly well, and that is array-oriented numerical computation.
>> Everything else about these two is unpleasant:
>>
>>     http://abandonmatlab.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/hello-world/
>>

> Maybe that's the natural inclination if you're a mathematician or software
> engineer. But I see no reason to be that negative about Matlab and its OSS
> siblings in other settings.

Read the rest of that blog for other reasons. Matlab was never
designed as a general-purpose language. It was a wrapper for Netlib
libraries because writing Fortran is too difficult. It's still mostly
that, a wrapper. The language is poorly designed, awkward, full of
decades-old warts.

- Jordi G. H.