Re: Octave and Database connectivity

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave and Database connectivity
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:01:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 9/12/12, ahowe42 <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: ahowe42 <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Octave and Database connectivity
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 7:01 AM
>
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> >
> > They do one thing and one thing oly well, and that is
> array-oriented
> > numerical computation.
> > : This, in addition to database access, is exactly what
> I need.
>
> I have some basic familiarity with Python, and understand it
> is not an
> array-optimized language like Octave; in my opinion, the
> Octave syntax is
> also superior (small detail).  You said MATLAB / Octave
> use:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> >  30-year-old Fortran libraries , but wouldn't
> numpy/scipy also use the
> > same BLAS & LAPACK/LINPACK libraries?
>
> I'm also aware that Java is not the most efficient, but it
> seems likely that
> (mysql -> Java -> Octave) will be more efficient than
> (mysql -> don't know
> the wrapper -> Python -> Octave).  What are your
> thoughts on this?
>
> I agree Python is probably worth looking into as an
> alternative to Octave,
> but need convincing.  I am also researching, but do you
> know of array
> numerical computation benchmarks on Python, and especially
> comparisons to
> Octave?
>
> Do you know if Pytave actually does a system call to Octave,
> or just links
> to libraries?  Long term, I suppose it would be better
> to just porting
> existing Octave code, as opposed to using Pytave to
> interpret Octave
> scripts...
>
> I appreciate your thoughts; thanks again.

Are you sure you really need to talk to your DB from Octave ?

My point is that it may be that you can by whatever scripting means export the
needed data from DB into plain directories and reasonably named files, e.g. if
you are working with, say, meteorological data, the files can be called
according to, say, weather_data_20120128.txt convention, then process the data
by simple Octave means, then write out the data again as directories and files
and then import the data back into your DB (if it is really needed) again by
whatever scripting means.

Regards,
  Sergei.