Re: OS for Octave

From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Subject: Re: OS for Octave
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:04:50 -0400

asha g wrote:

> I have a new laptop and would like to load Octave. Should I use Red Hat
> LInux ( version 8/9) or Ubuntu as OS ? Which version is available in both?
> Also is GNU Plot available too?
>
> Thanks
>
> Asha

Debian has prebuilt octave packages. For the latest (octave 3.2) you might
have to go with Sid (unstable) branch. If you are content with octave 3.0,
you can install Debian Stable and enjoy the rock hard stability of the
Debian systems. At list of available packages on Debian can be found at
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=octave .

If you are planning to install Ubuntu then just install Debian instead.
Though they are very similar, when you need help, Debian community's
expertise is many times ahead of Ubuntu community's expertise. Anyway,
arguing between Debian/Ubuntu/Red hat etc., is like arguing about one's
religion. I am just telling you about my experiences... not trying to pick
a flame war.

hth
raju
--