Re: OS for Octave

From: asha g
Subject: Re: OS for Octave
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:48:21 +0530 (IST)

            Goals too clearly defined can become blinkers.   Mary Catherine
Bateson

> Ubuntu isn't really that bad (except if you happen to be
> running
> pre-9.10 ubuntu and want to use octave-3.2+ -- but that
> would probably
> be just as painful if you were running Debian etch) and
> there are
> plenty of ubuntu users subscribed to address@hidden
> In any case, if
> you run into a problem with octave it's very likely you're
> going to be
> building development sources to get the fixes, anyway.
> That's pretty
> painless on Ubuntu and debian at the moment.

The problem is that my laptop - a toshiba satellite pro 510L is not accepting
the current version of Ubuntu 9.10 which the system admin has with him. He says
that I need to wait another week or so for the latest release of Ubuntu which
will have the necessary driver to read the hardware in my laptop. That is why I
have been exploring other options like Scientific Linux.  Would help if anyone
here has used it especially for octave.

Asha