Re: OS for Octave

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: OS for Octave
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:17:10 +0200

asha g:
>> I have a new laptop and would like to load Octave.
>> Should I use Red Hat LInux ( version 8/9) or Ubuntu as OS ?
>> Which version is available in both? Also is GNU Plot
>> available too?

Sergei Steshenko:
>The question is irrelevant - you can build 'octave' from source; if you
>do not want to build 'octave' from sources, check whether the Linux distro
>under consideration has 'octave' packages.
>
>The same is true WRT 'gnuplot'.

Well, the question is indeed relevant.  Normally, people should install
prebuild packages to run Octave and Gnuplot.  Doing it from source
requires one more level of expertise.

Both Red Hat and Ubuntu distribute prebuilt Octave and gnuplot packages,
as far as I know, but I know nothing of their relative merits.  As far
as I know, the best maintained prebuilt packages are those in Debian
testing.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040