Re: Binaries for SLES10

From: Andreas Kuntzagk
Subject: Re: Binaries for SLES10
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:33:44 +0200

Hi,

At my previous just I had to use SUSE as well, and getting Octave up and
running was not a particular joyful experience. SUSE is just not very
good at packaging basic scientific libraries, so you'll have to compile
a lot of stuff yourself from scratch.

Yeah, but for this I need to find out what libraries are missing and where to get them.

You can get some (semi-old) Octave RPM's for SUSE by searching at

  http://software.opensuse.org/search

Ok, didn't know this page before. There seems to be some 3.0.3 binaries there. I'll try and come back with results.

but (at least the last time I used them) they did not come with full
functionality (no QHull and no suite-sparse as far as I remember).

Actually I don't know what functionality is required here. Have to investigate.

I'm sorry that the answer isn't more satisfactory, but in my experience
SUSE just isn't very good for scientific work :-(

Unfortunately changing distro is not an option right now. This is a big compute cluster (in production) and I can't start from scratch again. For the next time what distro do you propose for scientific computing?

regards, Andreas