Re: Windows?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:35:17 -0400

On May 13, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

If I understand correctly, the MSVC library in question is not static, but
a DLL.

If it's the case, nothing prevents a GPL from being dynamically (i.e. at
runtime) linked. Look at all the proprietary SW running under Linux -
Oracle, SYNOPSYS, Cadence, etc.

Again, if I understand correctly, the question was about distributing in the same tarball 'octave' and MSVC DLL which are _not_ statically linked
to each other.

This whole thing is getting ridiculous because there are whole DVD- size
media (SUSE, Mandriva) distributing free and non-free programs and
libraries/programs in the same .iso file; the free and non-freeitems are
also not statically linked.

So, the counter-example of SUSE/Mandriva, as well as already mentioned
'inkscape', sparked my genuine interest in the issue of freedom in the
light of consistent shooting itself in the foot.

Since it is possible/allowed to distribute instruction on how to get MSVC
DLLs, it is also possible to write code which implements these
instructions.

And someone will probably do it, spending his/her energy on nothing instead
of spending it to do really useful things. This an example of shooting
itself in the foot - spending time to please ideologists instead of
spending it on something useful.

I'm glad 'inkscape' developers were smart enough to stick to "don't ask,
don't tell" policy.

I am really disturbed by the fact GNU folks dare to interpret motivation of SW developers dynamically/on the fly, essentially (IMO) changing the
rules during the game.

People want convenience, and they also want _not_ to be harassed; the
answers JWE got from GNU licensing engineer looks like effective
harassment.

Freedom is needed to avoid harassment, not to encourage it.

Regards,
 Sergei.

I don't always agree with GNU licensing, but the fact is that when GPL is applied to a bit a source code, the use of said source code implies you have accepted the license. At this point (and note IANAL), in some sense the user of the source code has made a legally binding agreement. There are plenty of court cases where the use of GPL source code and the defacto agreement entered into upon use of the source code has been upheld.

So there are two issues here: 1) people interpret the word freedom in different manners and 2) the people who volunteered their time and code to a GPL project did so under the assumption that users of their code would follow the legally binding GPL requirements. Had they intended something else, they would have used a different license (e.g. BSD, Apache, etc.). So rest assured that those who "look the other way" and violate either in spirit or in a legal sense the GPL are violating a choice made by the developer/contributor from which the code originated.

John Swensen