Re: Windows?

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:51:32 -0400

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

And if anybody asks, I _will_ provide him/her with a script (part of which,
by the way, is GPL; it's the same script I'm using to build 'octave') that
builds ffmpeg from source the same way I does it for me. This is like
distributing instructions - see the reply JWE got from licensing engineer.

You're pretty far off on a tangent here. The question is how we can make it easier for Windows users to install octave. The answer is to use MinGW. That's pretty much the end of the story.

Nobody can distribute the MSVC runtime combined in an single installer with octave as a convenience for Windows users. Nobody's saying octave cannot be compiled by end users using MSVC. Feel free to compile octave from source using MSVC and whatever private libraries you desire and write instructions that do not contain source code helping others do so. How that line of effort would ultimately end up being easier then telling them to download the runtime from microsoft is beyond me.

--judd