Re: Windows?

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:20:02 +0200

>FOSS movement is known for consistently shooting itself in the foot.

While it does certainly makes sense to speak about "Free and Open Source
Software" (FOSS) when dealing with licence issues, it does make a
difference when speaking about aims and priorities.  If you speak about
free software, then your priority is freedom.  If you speak about open
source, then your priority is convenience.

I think that, while trying to interpret the GPL in the specific case at
hand, the maintainers simply chose to err on the side of freedom rather
than err on the side of convenience, at least until the legal issue can
be assessed with more certitude.

At least, this is how I read it, sorry if I misunderstood.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040