Re: Windows?

From: Alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 18:13:30 +0200

Le 13/05/2009 à 17:16, Sergei Steshenko a écrit :
> If I understand correctly, the MSVC library in question is not static, but
> a DLL.
>
> If it's the case, nothing prevents a GPL from being dynamically (i.e. at
> runtime) linked. Look at all the proprietary SW running under Linux -
> Oracle, SYNOPSYS, Cadence, etc.
>
> Again, if I understand correctly, the question was about distributing in
> the same tarball 'octave' and MSVC DLL which are _not_ statically linked
> to each other.
>
> This whole thing is getting ridiculous because there are whole DVD-size
> media (SUSE, Mandriva) distributing free and non-free programs and
> libraries/programs in the same .iso file; the free and non-freeitems are
> also not statically linked.
It seems that they provide a separate CD/DVD for non free (at least they
used to in the past)
And there are many kind of nonfree. I doubt they include msvc dll in their
dvds

> So, the counter-example of SUSE/Mandriva, as well as already mentioned
> 'inkscape', sparked my genuine interest in the issue of freedom in the
> light of consistent shooting itself in the foot.
>
> Since it is possible/allowed to distribute instruction on how to get MSVC
> DLLs, it is also possible to write code which implements these
> instructions.
>
> And someone will probably do it, spending his/her energy on nothing instead
> of spending it to do really useful things. This an example of shooting
> itself in the foot - spending time to please ideologists instead of
> spending it on something useful.
Due to this ideologists so far we avoided software patents in europe, and
can enjoy our music and movies (even if you buy a dvd in the wrong zone)
Feel free to try to convince fsf to change its mind.

> I'm glad 'inkscape' developers were smart enough to stick to "don't ask,
> don't tell" policy.
>
> I am really disturbed by the fact GNU folks dare to interpret motivation
> of SW developers dynamically/on the fly, essentially (IMO) changing the
> rules during the game.
>
> People want convenience, and they also want _not_ to be harassed; the
> answers JWE got from GNU licensing engineer looks like effective
> harassment.
>
> Freedom is needed to avoid harassment, not to encourage it.
Freedom need some efforts :

"A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will
 lose both, and deserve neither"
              Thomas Jefferson (3rd US president)

Regards
Alain.