Re: eigshow function

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: eigshow function
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:15:03 +0200

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 15/06/2008, Vito De Tullio <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>  > Those who monitor and respond to the inquiries on this mail-list are
>>  > proportionately developers for Octave. It is legally important for the
>>  > developers to avoid being exposed to copyrighted code. Thus it is
>>  > impractical and inappropriate for us to offer any advice regarding the
>>  > illegal use of Mathworks code in Octave.
>>

>> I'm really sorry for this. Is there any free eigshow implementation? Those I
>>  post were just the first links google point me and I didn't think they were
>>  copyrighted...
>
> I wouldn't be too apologetic. This type of petty copyright
> infringement helps the Mathworks a lot more than it hurts them.
> Increasing Matlab mindshare is very important for them, even if means
> a few people will host illegal copies of their code.

Even though this may be true, it's not any help here. The key point is
that Mathworks can
eventually accuse some Octave developer of violating its IP rights
because proprietary code appeared previously on this list. The "sorry"
above was (IMHO) meant as an apology to Octave community, not to
Mathworks.