Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:56:53 -0600

on 10/7/06 5:39 PM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

> On  7-Oct-2006, Joe Koski wrote:
>
> | For installing the libraries there is no ³make install².  The .a files
> | usually go to the obvious /usr/local/lib, but octave is also looking for
> | header files in /usr/local/include.
>
> Octave does not look for header files in /usr/local/include.  Neither
> does configure, at least not directly.  The configure script runs the
> C compiler to check for header files and libraries.  Header files and
> libraries will be found in the directories the compiler searches.
> That may or may not include /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib by
> default.  You may need to add extra directories to CPPFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS, preferably by doing something like
>
>   configure CPPFLAGS="-I/some/include/dir" LDFLAGS="-L/some/lib/dir"
>
> jwe

John,

Sorry for my oversimplification, and yes Linux/UNIX is very flexible about
location. My problem with the octave configure script and the sparse
libraries was that ./configure seemed to be looking for things like
/ufsparse/any_header.h instead of just any_header.h. I had header files in
obvious places on my shell path, and the script still couldn't find them. I
had to copy multiple copies of some header files into /usr/local/include/
and /usr/local/include/ufsparse until configure could find them all.

Also, although it isn't part of the sparse matrix libraries, a "make
install" type script that copies all the correct files into whatever is the
correct directory would really aid in octave installation. Are the Florida
sparse matrix folks working in that direction, or is a special octave script
in order?

Joe