Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: Victor Munoz
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:47:08 +0900

> From whatever I could make out from the contents, you are
> discussing numerical methods too and introduced programmimg
> principles using c++.

That's correct, and it's why I don't know if it's really relevant for this
discussion.

> I think that for a first programming introduction octave is
> great; I would use that ( used also ) to intoduce loops etc.
> THerefore I feel numerical principles plus octave plus basic
> unix will be a good combination for a text. Most of it is
> there in your book except that your book uses c++ to
> introduce programming.

The official language we teach is C++, but we try to keep perspective and
let our students know of other alternatives, and they are encouraged to use
them during their assignments or practice sessions. Probably, as you say,
if numerical examples in the book are worked out in Octave, then maybe that,
plus Chapter 4, would be a good introduction for Octave and programming in
Octave.

Regards,
                                Victor