Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:26:31 -0500

I also use Octave in my courses.

1) I give them an introductory lab that just explores Octave and the concept of M files.
(Even if I used Matlab I would do the same. I did use matlab years ago.)
- they have had programming already C++, C#, VB, 6811, PIC.

2) I have found that Andy Adler's port to windows works the best for my students.
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~adler/octave/ ( I use the 10 meg ver.)
- it allows the students to cut and paste to Open Office.
- it is a little old but works for what we do.
( Laplace space and Z space design of filters and controllers, PID etc
and ODE simulators - model the real world in Laplace and Z space, then build it with opamps
or program it in C#)

3) My students just go to the web for help.
(3rd year students.)

Burke, Dr. Richard wrote:

I know a bit about the history of Octave, and if I’m not mistaken, several faculty have taught courses using Octave. I will be teaching a course called Engineering Analysis in the fall, and I am thinking about basing the course on Octave. The course is for junior level engineers from mechanical, electrical, and related disciplines.

A few questions:

1. Is there anything published about your experience or the experience of others in using Octave as the computational basis for a course? There are countless books based upon MATLAB, MathCAD, etc.

2. Is the Octave documentation adequate for undergraduate engineers? I am concerned about having the course devolve into a software tutorial, and like most small college programs, we do not have teaching assistants.

3. Any advice as to whether (or how) I should do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

*/Dr. Richard Burke, '72/*

*/Chairman and Professor of Engineering/*

*/Maritime College/*

*/State University of New York /*

*/6 Pennyfield Avenue/*

*/Throggs Neck, NY 10465/*