Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:41:46 -0700

Prof. Burke,

I just wanted to commend you for considering GNU Octave for teaching.
This is a very good idea for many reasons.  As you probably know, the
GNU Octave Manual is available for $30.  Requiring this manual for the
class would be a great way to help free software (and at $30, it is
relatively cheap for a textbook).

Will the students have a lab with computers running Octave or will they
have to install the program themselves.  Depending on their computer
proficiency, installation might be an issue.  I don't have experience
with Octave on Microsoft Windows (I use Octave on Debian GNU/Linux,
which installs with ``apt-get install octave'').  Chances are the
majority of the students, if they have a computer, will be running MS
Windows.  So the ease of install on this platform might be a issue.

Assuming the students have a working version of Octave, then they just
need to learn how to use it.  The Octave Manual should give them plenty
of guidance.  Possibly you can allocate 5 minutes per lecture about how
to use a certain command.  ``Today class, I'm going to tell you about
the hist command.''  I would tell the students to subscript to this
list, address@hidden, for two reasons:  they can use it to ask
questions, and they can learn about the community of users helping users
and about free software.  Tell them to look at
http://www.octave.org/archive.html if they get stuck, and tell them to
help each other (of course, making it clear than they have to turn in
work that is there own).

I don't have any first hand experience with this topic, but I hope to in
the future.

Good luck,

Steve