Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: Jean-Daniel BONJOUR
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:28:37 +0200

I'm also teaching Octave in my courses, and I've developped my own
teaching material (but everything is in French) :

- introduction to Octave and MATLAB : http://enacit1.epfl.ch/cours_matlab/
  (some chapters, not completely finished and still in work these days
   like graphics, will be on-line in 1 mounth)
- exercices are not (yet) on-line

I'm using the Windows Octave-Forge "octave-2.1.42-windows-atlas.exe"
from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888 :
very easy to install (but a little bit old), including : Octave-Forge
extensions, Cygwin, gnuplot, EpsTk, ATLAS, SuperLU.

Jean-Daniel Bonjour
ENAC-IT/SSIE, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland

Burke, Dr. Richard wrote:

I know a bit about the history of Octave, and if I’m not mistaken, several faculty have taught courses using Octave. I will be teaching a course called Engineering Analysis in the fall, and I am thinking about basing the course on Octave. The course is for junior level engineers from mechanical, electrical, and related disciplines.

A few questions:

1. Is there anything published about your experience or the experience of others in using Octave as the computational basis for a course? There are countless books based upon MATLAB, MathCAD, etc.

2. Is the Octave documentation adequate for undergraduate engineers? I am concerned about having the course devolve into a software tutorial, and like most small college programs, we do not have teaching assistants.

3. Any advice as to whether (or how) I should do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

*/Dr. Richard Burke, '72/*
*/Chairman and Professor of Engineering/*
*/Maritime College/*
*/State University of New York /*
*/6 Pennyfield Avenue/*
*/Throggs Neck, NY 10465/*