Re: Octave advocacy

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave advocacy
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:52:51 +0200

According to Mike Miller <address@hidden> (on 09/17/04):
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, David Bateman wrote:
>
> >Why not include the line
> >
> >#! /usr/local/bin/octave -q
> >
> >as the first line of your script and then the script itself is
> >execeutable
>

> I'm not sure that I understand your point.  The script I wrote (below)
> will run arbitrary octave commands straight from the command line.  If the
> script began with the line you suggest, would it run arbitrary code
> entered on the command line, or would it only run whatever code I typed on
> subsequent lines within the script?

No, it makes a dot-m file itself executable. Frankly, its rare that
you'll want to type something just once on the commandline as you'll
almsot inevitably make a mistake, or want to alter something.

> Maybe your approach will be better than mine, but we need a way to write
> your script such that it will read arguments from the command line and
> execute them as octave commands.  Maybe something like 'eval' could be
> used, but I'm not sure it would be better than what I have.

What about something like

  if (length(argv))
    for i=1:length(argv)
      eval(nth(argv,i));
    endfor
  endif

D.

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary