Re: Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:03:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Joe Koski wrote:

I guess where this rant is leading is that octave distribution is a significant problem without an apparent easy solution. For those who are fully Unix literate and use the latest CVS, this is not a problem. (I'm sure that there are other problems, such as being the first to find the latest bug.) For us "average" users, we really need a better way to access the latest "standard" octave and octave-forge releases. I would like to have octave 2.1.58 and associated octave-forge, but dread the effort necessary to make it operational.

I'll agree with this. I don't have the time to do the work myself. When I've tried to do it in the past, I've had problems. I'm running on Solaris 8. octave-forge did not compile for me. It was unclear that I could get help with it. I just let it go.

Someday, I hope, I'll be using only Linux and everything will just work for me. Someday, I hope, I'll have other people do this work for me. Until then, I am living with less than the full, optimal Octave distribution on at least some of my computers.

I'm very enthusiastic about Octave and would love to have the newest versions of Octave and Octave-forge working on all of my systems.

Mike