Re: Which version of Octave?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:44:08 -0700

To quote Yogi Berra, Paul must be getting "deja vu all over again" on this
subject. Yes the wiki pages look like a good starting point. What is missing
on the wiki is the gnuplot/aquaterm part of the installation. Does Per or
anyone have some up-to-date recommendations regarding which versions of
gnuplot and Aquaterm to install on the Mac, or should we just refer folks to
Fink or DarwinPorts for the latest ports?

One of my concerns in looking these things over echoes some of Henry's
thoughts. Every path to Octave/octave-forge requires some ability by the
installer to use an editor, understand the function of a make file, and
navigate in the UNIX environment. This even applies to Fink and DarwinPorts
installations. This is part of the open source "challenge" that many (most?)
Mac users are trying to avoid. On the other hand, given the frequency of
updates and the various OSF dependencies, I can't see an easy, cheap, and
flexible alternative.

Joe Koski