Re: Which version of Octave?

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:51:45 -0600

Three comments regarding Octave on Mac:

(1) Octave under Linux (my experience)
(2) Octave under Os X (installation instructions)
(3) Plotting under OS X

(1) I used Octave on Yellow Dog Linux for about a year without problem on a mac G4 cube (the same machine I have now). There are some benefits to working directly under Mac OS X, but the mac on linux solution has some benefits too. I have several external firewire drives, and
I'm too lazy to figure out how to talk to them properly under YDL.

(2) That said, it's really not that hard to install Octave on a Mac.

- Follow standard download instructions (I've been using CVS for about a month) - set environment variables to point to libraries, includes (I use fink for a lot of things, so my flags are ... )
CFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -I/sw/include"
FLIBS="-L/sw/lib -lg2c"
LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"

Configure with
./configure -enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static

then make and make install as normal. (I always use gnuplot, not aquaterm, so this is fine for me.)

(3) The main difference between platforms at this point is the availability of plotting software. I've always installed gnuplot and aquaterm using fink - it's straightforward. Manual installation I've tried in earlier versions (pre 3.8) without success. Some people has used kmplot under KDE (also available under Mac OS X), but I have no experience with that.