Re: Which version of Octave?

From: Michael Martin
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:49:42 -0600

On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:28 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

As I see it there are several contributing reasons to our problems. First, UNIX is still relatively new to the Mac, and Mac users are still a minority
within the UNIX community.

I would venture to mention that there are more Mac OSX installations than any other particular brand of Unix out there, including Linux. I dare say Linux will likely that the lead one day, simply because of the sheer number if Intel platforms out there and people realizing that there is more to life than Windows. However, at least for now Mac OSX is in the lead.

This leads to "critical mass" problems. How many
Mac octave users are there? A dozen? A hundred? There simply are not enough Mac users (yet?) to to justify a simple .dmg type installation of octave and
octave-forge.

That, I think is the problem. While there are lots and lots of Mac OSX users out there, how many are actually into open source? With Linux, by definition one has chosen an open source solution and will need to deal with open source installation issues. Mac OSX opens up the Mac to open source solutions, but that does not mean all its users will automatically use open source solutions (other than those installed by Apple). Right now I can think of a dozen or so Mac users here at work and I am really the only one to use open source solutions.

I suspect that there are several reasons for resistance to open source solutions on the part of many Mac users. Most Mac users are Mac users by virtue of ease of use. Open source applications are not always top notch for ease of use by unwashed masses. They can be cantankerous to install and then their interfaces can be quite frankly bewildering to them. Because of this, I suspect there is some reluctance to adopt open source applications by some Mac users.

But as to the installation issue, no easy to use install, less openness to open source solutions, I suspect. Some groups are trying to fix that in various ways. As for me, I prefer fink, in part, because of ease of use and access to quite a few open source solutions. It has its share of problems, but generally speaking I have found them to be minor. However, while I like fink, something even easier/pre-compiled is very desirable for the command line challenged.

As to shells, it really does not matter. It is whatever shell you can run and whichever you like best. Like people, all have shells have their idiosynchracies. I have always been a tcsh man myself and for the present I will certainly remain that way. I have **a lot** of sh & tcsh scripts I'd rather not convert. When Panther came out, I remained with tcsh. Now bash is certainly popular in Linux, and that is why Apple went with it as the default with Panther. However, from what I have seen, bash not nearly so popular on non-Linux systems. Now it is, perhaps due to Linux, being used more and more and perhaps one day will be as popular on non-Linux systems as it is in Linux. So pick one.