Re: Which version of Octave?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:23:32 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Joe Koski wrote:

> Years ago, when I was using the Korn shell (K-shell) on HP machines and
> I'd ask how to do something, the local UNIX gurus would always reply
> with something like "I don't know, I use C-shell." My thought is that
> staying with the "standard" shell will avoid this type of answer for
> questions directed toward the Apple/Panther community.

tcsh is *fully* backward compatible with csh.  tcsh adds a *lot* of very
important features that make it usable.  csh is marginally usable - a
piece of junk in my eye now that tcsh is out.

bash can probably do nearly everything tcsh can do, and somethings tcsh
cannot do.  I don't think bash is more primitive than tcsh.

Mike