binary packages

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: binary packages
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:17:48 -0600

On 15-Feb-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| Windows 98, 2000, XP:
|       Two approaches here:  one is a cygwin package approach,
|       the other a separately installed binary.   My own preference
|       is for a separately installed binary which can optionally
|       install into an existing cygwin environment.

For a separately installed binary package, the key feature is that it
play nice with existing Cygwin installations.  I would prefer to not
see any more angry messages from people who blame Octave for screwing
up their Cywgin installation...

Since it is relatively simple to create Cygwin packages, I think that
it would be useful to make them as well.  I think I still have some
scripts for doing this, so it should not be too much work for someone
to pick up this task.

|       Unfortunately octave
|       requires --enable-shared on ./configure in order to get
|       octave-forge to work, so this process is not as easy as it
|       could be.

I'm willing to change this default.  Should we default to building
both shared and static libraries?  The downside is a default build
time of about twice what we have now on systems where we have to
compile everything with and without a PIC option.

jwe