Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:26:15 -0600

Paul Kienzle wrote:

We could do something similar, where Octave would not actually be linked with a Lapack or Blas library, but would dlopen them and look up functions as needed (or at startup, to fill in a table) and then call the linear algebra functions via pointers. This way, it would be easy to switch from one linear algebra package to another, perhaps even at run time if you really wanted to do that. Should we make a change like this?

I see this as more of an install time than a run time issue. No need to complicate the code when the os runtime already supports finding and loading dynamic libraries.

However, there's one argument for runtime detection I can think of. If octave and associated libraries are maintained centrally on a network file system for a group of users who may have different hardware types, it would be nice to have libraries available for all hardware types and have applications such as octave detect which one they should load.

Quentin