Re: binary packages

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: binary packages
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:25:40 -0600

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 07:16:23AM -0500, Paul Kienzle wrote:
> >  octave-sp    which few people use it, and I got too little help
[...]
> Somebody who uses this will have to step in and do
> the work necessary to get it into octave-forge.   With

Ok. I may just retire it from Debian, i.e. assign it to the QA Group as
maintainer, or let it simmer for another while.

[...]
> >  libinline-octave-perl    which may need a maintenance release, but
> >                        again too few people know and use this
>
> Is this also available from CPAN?
> Does Debian interact well with CPAN?

Yes (http://search.cpan.org/~aadler/) and yes. A newly formed Debian Perl
group is working on making it even better.

Though personally I consider this more of an Octave package, but I clearly
see your point.

> >  octave-ci    where the remaining functions should get factored
> >            into octave-forge
>
> This was discussed a month ago:

> Nobody expressed any interest in these functions.  I have

Well I could mumble something about 'selection bias'. If it's small, as
octave-ci is, why not include it?

> >  matwrap      standalone tool for C/C++ wrapper generation, possibly
> >            overlapping with mex in octave-forge
>
> Someone should do the work necessary to get this into SWIG.

When I last looked superficially at the matter (a few years ago), there was
a reason why Swig itself wasn't applicable. I can't recall what it was
though.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page