Re: plotting Q's.

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: plotting Q's.
Date: 20 Nov 2000 22:57:03 -0500

Darren Farmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a converted Matlab user and am trying to get a few tools up and
> running. The coding/scripting side of octave is fine (in fact as a C
> programmer I will be biased and say better because of its additiona
> C-like calls and much easier interaction with user prog. binaries).
> However I have a few Q on the graphics/plotting side;
>
> ** we are adopting the cygwin PC version under  win9X/NT
>
> 1) are there / has anyone developed  any GUI-user tools (buttons etc) ?
>
> 2) can I re-label axes ?

octave makes plots via gnuplot.  you should download and if possible
print the gnuplot manual.  i do most plots with the gnu-plot
quasi-native commands gplot and gset rather than use the matlabesque
wrappers.

> 3) [a real duzy] -  if I delete a figure I cannot seem to get a new one
> back, similarly I do not seem to be able to get multiple figures (as
> opposed to mutliple frames within one figure).
> Supposedly there is an equivalent of 'figure' but does it work similar to
> matlab ?

i like to set gnuplot to print everything to a (postscript) file.
then i view it with gsview (from aladdin ghostscript).  i like this
method because it accumulates multiple plots.  this makes it easy to
run the script and let the plot file grow (no more stalling the script
just to view the plot).  you can go backwards and forwards to the
various plots easily.  it provides a natural previewer for printing.
you don't have to be in octave to see the plots and can send them to
others.

> This problem also seems to have come about if one closes GNU-PLOT figures
> - do not seem to be able to get a new GNU-plot session.
>

> 4) GNU-plot Q:  does GNU plot have capability of simply adding
> text/arrows  anywhere. Can GNU-plot be used to change axes labels ?
>

> 5) finally...   There seems to be qite a bit of functionality in GNU-plot
> , is it safe practice to intermix  octave plotting and direct figure
> editing with GNU-plot?

yes, it's usually safe.  sometimes, however, some state will get
lodged in gnuplot and octaves wrapper might not know about it.

> it would seem from the older versions that Octave
> communicates via a command line call type interface - so presumably
> GNU-plot is independent of Octave ??

alas gnu-plot is independent of octave.  i'd rather have had a natural
C interface to gnu-plot and let octave do a better job of mediating.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
address@hidden