Re: gnuplot plot string

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: gnuplot plot string
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:31:25 -0400

Hello,

    The problem you are expreiencing  is a problem with the port of gnuplot
that you are using.  In the latest release of cygwin, the way mount works
has changed.

    If you install cygwin so that c:ŠÜcygwinŠÜ is the root directory in your
cygwin environment, then c:ŠÜ is not mounted (this is the default).  In the
past to access anything on your drive outside of your cygwin root you could
just use the windows path with the Unix deliminator (ie c:/foo/bar) this has
changed, now you need to type /cygdrive/c/foo/bar.

    The old trick of setting $TMP_DIR=C:ŠÜtmp no longer works.  When you try
to do this c:ŠÜtmp get translated to /cygdrive/c/tmp.  This is fine for
octave, but that old port of gnuplot does not know what to do with that
path.

    I did figure out a work around once.  It was a while ago, and I do not
have time to test it out right now.  If I remember correctly octave is
trying to write the plot data to /tmp, and that version of gnuplot is tring
to read the plot data from c:ŠÜtmp.  So if your cygwin root is c:ŠÜcygwin that
makes /tmp=c:ŠÜcygwinŠÜtmp.  So you can see why gnuplot can not find any data
to plot.

>From your cygwin bash prompt:

mkdir /cygdrive/c/tmp
mount -b c:/tmp /tmp

This should effectively make c:ŠÜtmp and c:ŠÜcygnusŠÜtmp the same directory for
cygwin programs and therefore solve the problem.

Hope this helps,

Tom Weichmann