Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:39:42 -0500 (CDT)

On 20-Apr-2000, Stef Pillaert <address@hidden> wrote:

| Strange thing is: this used to work under octave-2.0.?, but I seem to run
| into trouble with 2.1.30: calling the .oct functions, I get messages like
| "undefined symbol: W__FG12ColumnVector".

If you think you have found a bug, please send a complete report to
address@hidden

Where is W__FG12columnVector defined (use nm on the Octave libraries)?
Does it have external linkage?  Does your system require linking with
some special flag so that dynamically linked functions have access to
the symbols in the main program?

| And a second tought: it would even be greater if the need for making the
| symbolic links wouldn't be necesarry any more: just having one lib, with all
| the functions in it, that can be called from octave. Is this possible, or
| unrealistic?

How would Octave know what functions are in the library?  Design a
clean and efficient way to do it that works well with the current
autoloading scheme (inherited from Matlab, for better or worse),
implement it, and submit it.  But why bother?  Don't links work well
enough?

jwe