Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:11:35 -0500 (CDT)

On 20-Apr-2000, Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:

| Yes, you are right. And I don't know how it can be the other way... but
| looks that under linux it can be done.

Same as for unlinking any other open file, I think.  The name goes
away in the filesystem, but the file contents aren't actually removed
until there are no more processes that have the file open.

| A related problem is how to `unload' a .oct file from a running Octave,
| in order to recompile it without leaving Octave. Because of the above
| problem, the following runs in some Octave versions and not in others. I
| can't specify :(
|
| >    Just as for M-files, Octave will automatically reload dynamically
| > linked functions when the files that define them are more recent than
| > the last time that the function was loaded.  Two variables are
| > available to control how Octave behaves when dynamically linked
| > functions are cleared or reloaded.
| >
| >  - Built-in Variable: auto_unload_dot_oct_files
| >      If the value of `auto_unload_dot_oct_files' is nonzero, Octave will
| >      automatically unload any `.oct' files when there are no longer any
| >      functions in the symbol table that reference them.
|
| This mean after a `clear' is issued?

Yes.  If multiple functions from a single .oct file have been loaded,
you need to clear them all before Octave will actually unload the
shared library.

Unloading and automatic reloading of .oct files should work in the
current stable and bleeding-edge versions of Octave.

jwe