Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file

From: Stef Pillaert
Subject: Re: mkoctfile: Problems sometimes during linking of text file
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:49:27 +0200

> Teemu Ikonen schrieb:
>
> > So does this mean I can define multiple dynamically linked functions in
> > single source (or .oct) file? How can I load functions which have
> > different names than the .oct file?
> >
> Hello Teemu,
>
> just create a symbolic link to your oct-file.
>
> Example:
> Your sourcefile "foo.cc" contains the DLD-functions "one" and "two".
> compile foo.cc
> and make the links
> one.oct -> foo.oct
> two.oct -> foo.oct
This reminds me of something I used to do: when I had a lot of .oct
functions, I made separate .cc files for them, compiled each function with
mkoctfile, deleted the .oct files, but created a shared library from all the
.o files (with "mkoctfile libfunctions *.o). This creates libfunctions.oct,
which is just a shared library of all the functions.
Then I renamed libfunctions.oct to libfunctions.so, and made symbolic links
for every .oct function to the library (fct1.oct --> libfunctions.so, ...).
This way, I had one big lib, that I could put somewhere safe
(/usr/local/lib).

Strange thing is: this used to work under octave-2.0.?, but I seem to run
into trouble with 2.1.30: calling the .oct functions, I get messages like
"undefined symbol: W__FG12ColumnVector". I ended up in creating .oct files
in the usual way, but maybe someone can explain to me why it doesn't work
any more (or maybe: why it was not the best way to do things... ).
And a second tought: it would even be greater if the need for making the
symbolic links wouldn't be necesarry any more: just having one lib, with all
the functions in it, that can be called from octave. Is this possible, or
unrealistic?

Stef.

Stef.